While reading through the article, I noticed the term "greater-than-human ecologies" pop up several times. I had never heard this term before, but I have very quickly grown quite fond of it. Western society has anthropocentrism so deeply ingrained into it that the term "ecology" doesn't even evoke the necessary ideas and feelings in most people and I can quickly see that this term "greater-than-human ecologies" likely helps remedy this.
The comments on neo-liberalism being an obstacle in multiple different ways also struck me. Neo-liberalism is such a new system yet it dominates nearly every element of society, especially the decision making processes of so many things. Despite this, so many people can't even name it or say what it is. It is then further obfuscated by the term "liberal" being embedded in it, which is often wrongly associated with left-wing politic. The statement "where land is viewed as equivalent to money..." especially hit me.
The statement that the CLN approach is "egalitarian, inclusive, multidisciplinary, multicultural, intergenerational, and community-oriented" had me thinking that everything should have this approach. If I can implement such an approach in my classroom I will be over the moon.
Finally, I found the conversation on biophilia and empathy for all living things being at the heart of creating a sustainable and anti-human-centric world view very powerful and something I have tried to embody for a number of years. I hope to be able to bring this to my classroom(s).
As for the actual practice of integrating the garden into my (hopefully) future high school classes and teaching alongside the ultimate teacher, Mother Nature, I get wisps of ideas. Teaching life and human skills through the garden is easier to imagine than teaching specific math or physics based curriculum goals (junior science is easier to picture). I certainly want to explore this concept a lot more and come up with more tangible ideas. I'm sure they will come with time - I can already feel them forming, they're just not quite there.
Now for the benefits and difficulties teaching in the garden may bring. The hands on, life skill building elements of working in a garden are the most obvious benefits that come to mind. Also, when one gets into a flow state in the garden, the brain is capable of processing things in otherwise difficult to attain and magical ways, sometimes resulting in unrelated, but profound epiphanies. I do imagine that classroom management may be difficult in a garden, especially with 20-30 teenagers, but I'm sure with the correct expectations and attitude, it could be manageable. I think also convincing the people teachers are accountable to (parents, admin, students, etc.) that math and physics are truly being learned in the garden may not always be a straightforward sell, but hopefully with time the results will speak for themselves.
Ultimately, I am just so excited to get my hands dirty, commune with nature, and do some math & science along the way.
![]() |
| Snapdragons. My favourite flower. My grandma always made sure there were some in her garden for me to admire and play with <3 |

No comments:
Post a Comment